Thursday, February 15, 2007

The breaking point

In computer science I'm at the breaking point. These loop programs are driving me crazy. If computer science wasn't my major I'd start considering dropping the class, since I have the second lowest score in class at 78%. It's the only class this semester that is below 80%. Which really makes me doubt my future with this major. I knew the math requirements for this was going to be tough, but I didn't expect the programing to be even harder this early.

It makes me think that maybe I should just change my major to history. Since its the one subject that I know can consistently get A's in. Then follow the career path of transferring to NIU and get a teaching degree along with my history major. Then find a high school to be sports coach/history teacher. I think I would enjoy being a coach, but not sure about teaching. This career path I have a high chance of succeeding at about 90%.

Instead I choose a path that is based on math one of my weaker subjects. Its not just based on simple math, it gets into upper levels of calculus and statistics. To add to this it involves the mastery of complex logical programs. Also I'm aiming at getting into DePaul or UI the best computer science school in the world. Which means I have to keep my grades up. If I keep my current GPA where it is, I'm confident I'll get into one of these schools. I'm just worried that the huge amount math classes will drag my GPA down along the way. If I'm some how able to keep my GPA up and get into one these schools. Then I will look forward to even harder math and programing classes. If I get through those class and earn my major in computer science and major/minor in Physics. Then I plan on transferring to the University of Dresden in Germany to earn a masters in Artificial Intelligence. If I earn my masters I believe that many interesting jobs would open up for me. Besides the fact that I have no clue how I'm going to fund this besides getting loans out of my mind. I only give myself about 30% chance of succeeding in this career path, but if I do make it through, I think it would be the most fulfilling lifestyle and the highest standard that I could ever possibly achieve.

So, for now I'm going to keep fighting through computer science in hopes of making my impossible dream a reality.

In better news I get to go snowboarding tomorrow at Grand Geneva. :)


Music: Sufjan Stevens-Chicago

No comments: